Parent School Council
Thank you to everyone who gathered on Tuesday evening to form our new Our Lady of the Angels Catholic Parent School Council . . . Pre-K to Grade 4 version. Together we are stronger! Thank you to Justine Wright Fort Saskatchewan's Board Trustee for guiding through this process and bridging the journey. Thank you to the following amazing people who demonstrated such great support and excitement in building our community together: Amber, Heather, Terra, Lucille, Crystal, Laura, Julie, Stephanie, Natalie, Stephanie, Sam, Jade, Nadine, Jacqueline, Scheila, Nicole, Mrs. Earle, Ms Cyca, Mrs. Weller and Mme Gravelle.
So grateful to the following people who are forming the 2018-2019 OLA PSC Executive:
Chair: Heather Sprackin
Vice-Chair: Sam LeDrew
Treasurer: Julie Berardi
Secretary: Jade King
Huge thanks to these leaders who are willing to share their time and talents with our awesome OLA Catholic School community.
PSC Volunteer Form 2018/2019
Please click here to access the
We are grateful to the parent volunteers who have committed to offering the milk program at Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School this year.
This year milk will be delivered on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As with past milk programs, only students who participate in the prepaid program will receive milk.
Students may choose either white or chocolate milk, and the milk will be delivered directly to their classrooms so that it is ready for them when they come in from lunch recess to eat at 12:14 pm.
Prepaid ordering will occur once this year. The cost for pre-ordered milk will be $45.00/child or $85.00/two children for delivery from Tuesday, October 23rd to Thursday, June 20th. (The credit for two children will have to be completed manually; please allow up to 2 weeks to process the credit. This credit can then be applied to the field trip/special presentation fee that will be assessed at the end of October. If you have not received the credit after 2 weeks, please contact the school.)
In the event that a student is absent for an extended period of time (more than 12 days) then arrangements can be made for a rebate. Any other absences will be considered as a kind donation to your hard working OLA Parent School Council.
Thank you for your support in our efforts to encourage and promote good nutrition!
OLA PSC Milk Program Committee
All milk orders will be placed online this year. To order please follow these simple steps:
- visit your PowerSchool ParentPortal account at https://powerschool.eics.ab.ca/public/
- please select the Forms and Fees tab on the left
- select Student Fees from the dropdown menu
- select your child from the menu bar at the top of the page
- select the 2018/19 Milk Order form
- complete the form and select Add to Cart
- to complete your order payment must be made once this form is finished
- click on the shopping cart icon found on the top right of the page to make your payment
- please call the school office at 780-998-3716 with any questions or concerns
Playground Update and Meeting
Playground meeting and election
Thursday, October 18, 7:00 pm
St. John Paul II School
Now that school has settled in, I am sure you are aware of the need for outdoor spaces for your new (or new to you) schools.
For anyone new to our Fort Saskatchewan Catholic schools, we are four Catholic schools that have been restructured from three Catholic schools upon the completion of a new Catholic high school. Within the restructuring process we have the following changes:
- St. John XXIII (SJXXIII) (grades K-4) has half the number of students as half of the students were reallocated to OLA.
- Our Lady of the Angels (OLA) has changed from a middle school (grades 5-8) into an elementary school (grades K-4).
- St. John Paul II (JPII) has changed from a high school (grades 9-12) into a middle school (grades 5-8).
- St. Andre Bessette (SAB) is a new build for a high school (grades 9-12).
These changes were much needed, but have resulted in the playgrounds, equipment and outdoor spaces being inappropriate or non-existent for three of the four schools. We are left with the current problems that need remedying:
- OLA (grades K-4): has 30-year-old playground equipment more appropriate for a middle school
- JPII (grades 5-8): does not have any playground or outdoor play structures since it had been a high school
- JPII (grades 5-8): we will need to remove half of the parking lot to make room for an outdoor play structure
- SAB (grades 9-12): does not have any outdoor gathering spaces and needs benches or picnic tables
- SJXXIII (grades K-4): due to school enrollment at full capacity for so long, the playground is worn. They just received a bill for $40,000 to replace a broken play structure.
We are applying for grants and fundraising to replace old playgrounds and to build new ones where needed. We are fundraising as one community as we see our Catholic schools as one family, with close connections with each other. We plan on raising these funds together, and together building outdoor spaces adequate for all our Catholic schools. As ambitious as it sounds, we would like to complete our fundraising within 18 months.
We will have a meeting to elect an executive to carry these efforts forward. The executive would be responsible for working with the respective school principals, continuing to stay in contact with our grant’s writer, and securing a company to purchase playground and outdoor equipment from.
Please attend this meeting on Thursday, October 18th at 7:00 pm at SJPII School (9975 – 93 Ave. Fort Saskatchewan, AB.)
Pope John XXIII Parent Society Chair