Your 2018-2019 OLA School Council Executive:
Chair: Heather Sprackin
Vice-Chair: Sam LeDrew
Treasurer: Julie Berardi
Secretary: Jade King
Huge thanks to these leaders who are willing to share their time and talents with our awesome OLA Catholic School community.
Please join us for our Annual General Meeting on September 10, 2019 at 7:00 pm.
OLA School Council Meetings
All parents are welcome at our monthly meetings - please come and support our school community! Upcoming meeting dates:
AGM September 10, 2019 at 7:00 pm
You can email your OLA SC at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit the Hot Lunch tab under the Parent menu for more information. Thank you.
We are grateful to the parent volunteers who have committed to offering the milk program at Our Lady of the Angels Catholic School.
Last year milk was delivered on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As with past milk programs, only students who participate in the prepaid program received milk.
Please watch for information coming home this fall on milk delivery for the 2019-2020 school year.
In the event that a student is absent for an extended period of time (more than 12 days) then arrangements can be made for a rebate. Any other absences will be considered as a kind donation to your hard working OLA Parent School Council.
Thank you for your support in our efforts to encourage and promote good nutrition!
OLA PSC Milk Program Committee
Playground Update and Meeting
Now that school has settled in, I am sure you are aware of the need for outdoor spaces for your new (or new to you) schools.
For anyone new to our Fort Saskatchewan Catholic schools, we are four Catholic schools that have been restructured from three Catholic schools upon the completion of a new Catholic high school. Within the restructuring process we have the following changes:
- St. John XXIII (SJXXIII) (grades K-4) has half the number of students as half of the students were reallocated to OLA.
- Our Lady of the Angels (OLA) has changed from a middle school (grades 5-8) into an elementary school (grades K-4).
- St. John Paul II (JPII) has changed from a high school (grades 9-12) into a middle school (grades 5-8).
- St. Andre Bessette (SAB) is a new build for a high school (grades 9-12).
These changes were much needed, but have resulted in the playgrounds, equipment and outdoor spaces being inappropriate or non-existent for three of the four schools. We are left with the current problems that need remedying:
- OLA (grades K-4): has 30-year-old playground equipment more appropriate for a middle school
- JPII (grades 5-8): does not have any playground or outdoor play structures since it had been a high school
- JPII (grades 5-8): we will need to remove half of the parking lot to make room for an outdoor play structure
- SAB (grades 9-12): does not have any outdoor gathering spaces and needs benches or picnic tables
- SJXXIII (grades K-4): due to school enrollment at full capacity for so long, the playground is worn. They just received a bill for $40,000 to replace a broken play structure.
We are applying for grants and fundraising to replace old playgrounds and to build new ones where needed. We are fundraising as one community as we see our Catholic schools as one family, with close connections with each other. We plan on raising these funds together, and together building outdoor spaces adequate for all our Catholic schools. As ambitious as it sounds, we would like to complete our fundraising within 18 months.
We will have a meeting to elect an executive to carry these efforts forward. The executive would be responsible for working with the respective school principals, continuing to stay in contact with our grant’s writer, and securing a company to purchase playground and outdoor equipment from.